Artists and Exhibitions Assistant – Part time Position
Deadline for applications: Monday 10 June 2019, 5pm
Interviews will be held week commencing 24 June 2019
Part Time, 3 days per week (Wednesday – Friday)
12 months contract, with possible extension
Pro rata to £25,000-28,000 depending on experience
To apply please submit a 2-page CV with a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience demonstrate that you meet the Person Specification set out below, along with a completed equal opportunities monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line Artists and Exhibitions Assistant
About Matt’s Gallery
Matt’s Gallery is a contemporary non-profit art gallery, established 39 years ago in East London. During this time, Matt’s Gallery has been an independent and influential force in the visual arts sector, both nationally and internationally, championing the careers of artists such as Willie Doherty, Benedict Drew, Jimmie Durham, Susan Hiller, Mike Nelson, Nathaniel Mellors, Lindsay Seers, Marianna Simnett and Imogen Stidworthy.
In January 2018 Matt’s Gallery moved to a new temporary space at 92 Webster Road, South East London. The gallery space presents a rapid succession of short exhibitions and events, as we work towards permanent relocation in the Nine Elms development.
Matt’s Gallery is an Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation and a registered charity.
Matt’s Gallery is an equal opportunities employer.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director and Deputy Director, working within a small team, the Artists and Exhibitions Assistant provides efficient and effective administrative support to the gallery and its artists.
The successful candidate will have experience of working with artists or galleries in the public or private sector. They will be pro-active with excellent organisational skills and good knowledge of and familiarity with contemporary visual art.
In support of the Director’s artistic policy and line-managed by the Deputy Director, the duties of the Artists and Exhibitions Assistant include:
- Maintenance and organisation of artists’ and exhibition documents and files (digital and physical)
- Handling consignments and arranging loans of works
- Creating and maintaining sales packs and up-to-date information on works available
- Promoting the gallery and its associated artists’ work and projects locally and internationally through newsletters, postal mail outs and social media
- Responding to enquiries by email and telephone, including requests for information and images and providing relevant material on artists’ work and upcoming projects
- Administrating sales of works, editions and publications
- Administration of the gallery’s website and newsletters in conjunction with the web technician, Deputy Director and Stanley Picker Trainee
- Maintaining and developing contacts with press and managing listings of the exhibition programme, with support from the Stanley Picker Trainee
- Providing support to the Director, including correspondence and fielding enquiries
- Front of house support during gallery opening hours and events
- Attending and assisting at board meetings, exhibition openings and events as required
- Degree or higher in Art, Art History, Arts Management or other relevant subject
- Proven track record of working efficiently with excellent organisational skills
- Proven track record of competent artist support/administration
- A pro-active, self-starting approach
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of working with artists or galleries in the public or private sector
- Awareness and understanding of public and private arts funding environment
- Excellent IT skills, including Mac OS, MS Word, spread sheets, Adobe Creative Cloud, email, social media, Google applications and proficient keyboard skills
- Ability to learn quickly and adopt established working practices and procedures
- Good knowledge of and familiarity with contemporary visual art
- Driving licence
- Foreign languages
- Experience of working within a National Portfolio Organisation
Summary Of Conditions Of Service
Employer: Matt’s Gallery, London
Job title: Artists and Exhibitions Assistant
Hours of work: 3 days, usually 10am – 6pm, Wednesday – Friday (24 hours per week) with occasional weekend/evenings.
Time off in lieu will be given for additional hours worked.
Salary: Pro rata to £25,000 – 28,000, depending on experience.
Contract: Initially 12 months, with possible extension.
Probationary period: 3 months
Place of employment: Matt’s Gallery, 92 Webster Road, London, SE16 4DF
We are a small team who work closely together towards the organisation’s needs and aims. Duties may vary as a result of changes in circumstances. A degree of flexibility is therefore needed.
There will be some assistance with evening events and occasional weekend work.
How To Apply
To apply please submit:
To: email@example.com using the subject line Artists and Exhibitions Assistant
- a 2-page CV
- a covering letter outlining how your skills and experience demonstrate that you meet the Person Specification
- a completed equal opportunities monitoring form
Download the Job Description here:
• PDF file
Download the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form here:
• Word version
• PDF version
Please note we are unable to give feedback on individual applications.
If you have not heard from us by 10 July 2019, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.